We are a group of concerned residents from Surrey Hills, Canterbury and the local neighbourhood (Victoria, Australia) who came together in late 2006 to see where we might focus our energies in response to the pending changes to our climate. We have agreed to work together to reduce our own footprints on this earth. We want to address the issue of the continued survival of life on this planet from a local perspective, focused around the overall reduction of green-house gas emissions.
Our approach is that :-
- We are looking for action, rather than further debate.
- We recognise that climate change has been flagged for years; we hold an element of impatience to see some action taken.
- We also recognise that some of the actions we might press for are to improve the understanding and changed practice of those (many) who are just beginning to get the message, and to do so through a grass roots approach.
- We are unaligned to any political party. (This does not preclude members working with political parties where they choose.)
- We look to work out the hammer blows that will elicit the fastest change.
- We propose to take action on things we can control, and spread that as widely as possible.
- We will continue to write letters to politicians as an effective means of putting forward a position.
- We will learn from other activists and bring that learning to the group as part of the regular meeting process.
- We are a "Ginger Group" – gadflies ready to sting.
- We are keen to include other members of our community who are also concerned to improve what they do as individuals, households and a local community.
Our Vision statement.
Our Mission statement.
Our Key strategies.
Please refer to 'Our Project Groups' in the right hand side menu.
Lighter Footprints meets on the first Wednesday of the month. Meetings in 2009 begin in February. Topics include discussion with experts, the development of group projects, and support for each others’ self-help activities. Meetings are scheduled in the evenings from 7.45 pm at addresses which change monthly. More details here.
Information available from Carolyn Ingvarson 9836 0925